Tuesday, February 15, 2011

45/365


"You've never had it so good."  Have you ever been told this?  I think that this saying is relative to where we are in life today.  Relative, meaning that we really haven't had it so good as we have it today.  We spend so much time regretting the past or looking forward to tomorrow.  Looking forward to that next pay check, next vacation, next day off, next Friday of the week - sometimes I feel like we are rushing through life seldom enjoying the moment we are in. 

Don't get me wrong I live for Fridays and can't wait for vacations either but there is something to be said about mundane Mondays.  If every day was a party would that party be special?  I don't think that it would be.  I think back to my college years and remember the gauntlet of "events" that I participated in that at the time were not special or "no big thing".  Today going on a mission trip, having coffee with a friend, sitting for more than fifteen minutes uninterrupted watching my favorite Survivor episode, sitting outside for hours on end on a blanket reading, going to the gym to work out whenever the mood struck me; all of these things were day to day norms in my life at one time.  But today to do even one of those things would be a treat because I'm not just me anymore I am in essence plus one or even two!

I LOVE my life and wouldn't trade it for a day of that carefree life that I had back when but I do wish I hadn't rushed through it.  I wish I had reveled in that era and known then what I do now.  Sometimes I wish I could write my past self a letter saying don't worry you will make it through,  don't date so and so because he's not good for you,  get up and go to class more often because you will miss it one day,  don't shed tears over how you look because you are beautiful just as you are, don't doubt yourself because you are going to make it and be just fine.  In my head I know that that letter I would write in some ways is still relevant today. 

It's Tuesday and I'm looking forward to Friday when we leave for Mississippi for a long weekend. I'm not saying that looking forward is a bad thing but I think there is something to be said about today.  Today I was a better version of me; I like who I am today and that is a good thing.  Tomorrow will come fast enough so I'm going to sit here with the radio playing, making a list of the things I need to accomplish this week and while the girls are sleeping I smile wildely because time, it's passing way too quickly.  Before I know it, in the blink of an eye it will be gone and this will be my past self.... 

No comments: